I am back with another tag today, specifically the This is My Genre, Tell Me Yours tag that the awesome Raven @ Dreamy Addictions has tagged me in. Thank you so much for thinking of me, Raven! If you haven’t done so yet, please go check out her fabulous, fun blog!💘
- Credit Drew @ TheTattooedBookGeek as the creator of the tag, either use the created tag name graphic or create your own and link back to my blog.
- Answer the questions.
- Tag as many people as you want.
What is your favourite genre?
If you have been reading my blog for all of maybe 2 seconds, you probably already know what it is- young adult contemporary!
Who is your favourite author from that genre?
Oh, I have way too many to count, but the one that sticks out the most is the amazing Morgan Matson! She is best known for her books Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour, Second Chance Summer, Since You’ve Been Gone, and The Unexpected Everything, ALL ultimate favourites of mine.💜
What is it about the genre that keeps pulling you back?
Lots of things, including:
- The relatableness (not that that’s a word…🙊): I just LOVE being able to relate to a character or a situation in a book!
- Learning about the world: in fantasy books, you can’t necessarily learn about life and the problems that are faced by society today, which is why I turn to contemporaries to learn more about general current events.
- The fluffiness: For me, books are an escapism and I like them to make me feel good. Dark fantasies bore me, honestly, and they usually take much longer to read which I don’t like, and since contemporaries are generally happier and shorter, I feel much better after finishing one, and they are short enough for me to read entirely in a day.
- Their covers: Okay, this may be kind of a bad reason and some people may have different opinions, but covers of contemporary books are just much prettier to my eyes than those of fantasies or dystopians are.
What is the book that started your love for your favourite genre?
I’ve sort of always gravitated to contemporary or realistic fiction books. Something about other genres just never appealed to me when I was younger, so I whipped up realistic fiction book after realistic fiction book. So, I don’t currently have a ‘first ever’ contemporary book in mind, but the first contemporary YA book I read was:
This book that is full of adorableness, Geek Girl by Holly Smale!
If you had to recommend at least one book from your favourite genre to a non-reader/someone looking to start that genre, what book would you choose and why?
Looking for Alaska is not the lightest of reads, but I loved it with all my heart and I just know that others will, too.💘
Why do you read?
Why do I read? What a question! It’s like asking me why I breathe!😂
Anyway, I read because it’s fun and I like to escape from the stresses of my daily life such as schoolwork, social media, and other such things. I like to analyze characters and stories (hence this blog) and find situations and characters in books that relate to me and my life, and see what they did in their places and see how I can apply that into my own life.
If you guys don’t participate in tags, have already done this, or just aren’t up to it, feel free to ignore me, haha! You have no obligations to do this, but I’d still love to see your answers!😊
So tell me, what is your favourite genre and why? Do you agree with any of the things I said? How would you answer some of these questions? Let me know in the comments below.